Tuesday 16 December 2014

Travel Month | Airport Disaster & San Francisco

Lets just not even introduce this trip. Lets just start telling you about it because I know that that is the things you would like to read about the most!

Wednesday morning. 4:30am my alarm goes of.  I am so happy that I asked Eileen to stay over the night. It made especially the evening before a bit less hard. I only needed to do a few more things and than it was time to go to the airport. I wanted to give the girls one more kiss. Before I even got upstairs I heard some noises. It was Anna sprinting of the stairs. She was so relieved when she saw me. "can I please hug you one more time". The tears came up, but at the same time I was so happy. He face still had the prints of the pillow it there. I walked with her to her bed and gave the other two a kiss. It woke Sonya up a bit. although I didn't want that to happen, but it was so nice that it did. Little Sophia stayed asleep. I did not want her to wake up. The night before she was crying hysterically and told me over and over again that I couldn't leave and that she didn't know how to stop crying. It broke my heart in 500 million pieces. I didn't want that to happen again. So one more hug and then it was time to grab my bags and drive to the airport.

Here a tip for you. Check which airport you need to be at. I arrived at the airport and the lady at the check-it told me "Well darling you need to be at the other airport." NOO WAY. Eileen drove away already so I needed to call her to come back. She did as fast as she could. What a hero she got me at the other airport in time. Don't asks me how. Maybe by breaking speed limits and swearing in three different languages, but only maybe. 

San Francisco, It was time for San Francisco. Since waning to go to the USA I wanted to go to San Francisco. There was something about it that really attracted me. I was there by myself the first two days. That was good. It was nice to not think about what others want or need. I only needed to think about what I wanted. I stayed in a hostel downtown San Francisco. That made it easy to go to the shops and coffee bars. It was also a good point to start walking around of. 

But lets not forget that I made more mistakes that day. I arrived in San Francisco an hour later than planned. My flight was delayed due to the fact that it was raining in San Francisco. What a joke, Nienke travels to the Sunny Southern California it is raining. I decided right away that I was not going to complain about that. I had no time for that, I was going to embrace it. There've been taken enough pictures there with the sun shining bright and a clear sky. My photo's were going to be different. Because it is December the sun set quite early and so I arrived downtown in the dark. It was so pretty with all the Christmas lights. I forgot to check on a map how to walk to the hostel. With some improvising I found my way to the street I had saved on my phone. Without any doubts I walked in on the first door that said 'hostel'. They couldn't find my reservation. I was so tired and looked at them like. "you must be joking me" than she was like "are you sure you are in this hostel.." I wanted to interup her screaming that I was 100% sure. This is the right street I just checked it ".. there is an other hostel in this street" she continued. When she told me the name of the other I knew that this was the wrong hostel. Well hé, wrong airport, wrong hostel, who cares.

BUT THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE MISTAKES. When I went to the right hostel and got my reservation all sorted I got a room and bed number. There was someone unpacking her bag  so the door of the room was open. Three of the four beds were taken. Including the bed that was given to me. I didn't mind,I  took the last free bed and started to sort my stuff. Then this girl was in the room with a suitcase and everything. I gave her a hand and introduced myself. I had no clue yet. I was super tired and didn't realize that there was no bed free for her. Until she said "I think that that is my bed" and she showed me her reservation with her bed number . NOOO. While I walked in I did not check the number of the room. As soon as she showed me the reservation I knew. I was in the wrong room and that bed I was getting ready to sleep in was the wrong bed. I did not know how fast I needed to leave that room. I grabbed all my stuff together and almost run to the right room. I checked it maybe 5 times before I opened the door. The rooms all had keys and stuff and my key was working, but I did not trust anything anymore. But it was, this was the right room. After a shower I jumped in my bed. I laughed about it so hard. This was the biggest joke of my life. Wrong airport, wrong hostel, wrong room and wrong bed. While skyping my dad I said "next time I'm traveling with you again. I'm not ready yet". My sister laughed in my face and said "Well, at least you have a story to tell" and so it is. This is a better story than: 'I got to the airport and than to the hostel and went to bed'. haha

The next day I decided to go to two places I wanted to see the most. 'The Painted Ladies' and 'The Golden Gate Bridge'. While i was planning my walk I saw that there were multiple places in-between that walk that I wanted to see too. The 'San Francisco City Hall', 'San Francisco University', the 'Golden Gate Park' including the 'Japanese Tea Garden' and I also decided to check out 'Lombard/worlds most crooked street'. On my way back I would see the famous trollies. I would lie if I told you I walked it all. though I walked most of it and I was super tired at the end of the day. 

Because of my blog and my YouTube channel I got in touch with so many new people. I like that so much. Fé got in contact with me a while ago. Just by liking pictures on my Instagram. I saw that she was studying in San Francisco and I started to talk to her about that. How creepy does that sound btw. When I knew I was traveling to San Francisco I asked her if she would liked it to meet. It was going to be December 5th what is 'Sinterklaas'. In Holland we don't really get presents on Christmas, we get them on Sinterklaas. He is our Santa. I'm not going to explain the whole thing because in Holland itself there is a huge discussion going on. I have my side, but I am going to make enemies with that. haha, so I am not telling you. Fé is a Dutch girls studying in San Francisco what sounds like a dream to me. It was fun to exchange some Sinterklaas stories and stories overall. She showed me around a bit more. It is good to be shown around by someone who knows the place you are staying. Even though she isn't born and raised in San Francisco, it was close enough.  

I started to feel at home in the hostel. It had such a good vibe. Most of the people are travelers and some a students. I needed to organize myself by writing in my diary and working on my scrapbook. The scrapbook I am making for the girls. It is weird to see all those pictures and writing my stories to them. It was hard to work on because it made me miss the girls so much. I went to this spot in the Hostel were it was quiet. I felt so strong. I just finished my au-pair year and now I was all by myself in this hostel. I was only counting the hours until my tour started. It was a tour for au-pairs, so I knew that I was going to make some new friends. Why? because au-pairs are the most awesome human beings in this world. They are caring, honest and they love to travel. They are not afraid to step out of their comfort zone and they are the bravest people ever. They have a really good sense of humor and they like to have fun. I am not saying this about myself though. hahaha, but this is how I see all of my friends that are au-pairs. 

Guess what, I was right. The next day I started the tour and the girls I met were just how I discribed you just now. Due to the fact I have so many stories I decided to split my travel month in multiple blogs. So this might just been an introduction to my travels. Just wait, I have to tell you so, so much. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate